Information about workshops and activities for 2012
‘Modern Madonnas’ exhibition runs from 26May – 17 June, 11am-3pm Mon-Sat, excluding bank holidays. (Private View: Thursday 31 May)
There will be three related art workshops:
Back-to-Art Mothers – Saturday 26 May, 10am – 2pm, £8.00
A workshop for mothers, whose artistic practice has been interrupted by looking after a family. Produce some work and share strategies for reintroducing art into your life.
Parent and Child Art Workshop – Friday 8 June, 10am – 2pm, £8.00
Create a collaborative artwork with your children, inspired by work in the ‘Modern Madonna’s’ exhibition. All abilities welcome.
Modern Madonnas Art Workshop – Wednesday 13 June, 10am – 2pm, £8.00
Looking at ‘mother and child’ depictions through the ages, working on your own interpretations and drawing a mother and baby from life. All abilities welcome.
Refreshments available for all three workshops, booking essential on 01372 464881 or firstname.lastname@example.org
During 2011 there will be a range of FREE activities for schools, groups and individuals with our Artists in Residence for this year. To be updated by email please contact us on:
with ‘newsletter’ in the subject line. If you would like to find out more or book. Booking is essential if you would like to take part. Please phone:
01372 467720 or email us on: email@example.com
Workshops and activities at St George’s Arts 2011
- Thursday 24 March: Artist’s Talk with Mary Branson who will be discussing the background to her ‘Damascus Road’ Installation at St George’s.
- Wednesday 11 May: TIME TO LISTEN – readings on Silence and Solitude, Roz Cran 6 – 7.30 pm
- Tuesday 17 May: 9.30 – 1.30 pm painting workshop for adults: Rebecca Price as part of her ‘The Colour of Music’ residency at St George’s Arts.
- Wednesday 18 May 10.30 – 3.30 TIME TO BE, Roz Cran
- Thursday 25 May 9.30 – 1.30 pm painting workshop for adults: Rebecca Price
- Wednesday 8 June 9.30 – 1.30 pm painting workshop for adults: Rebecca Price
- Tuesday 28 June 9.30 – 1.30 pm painting / drawing workshop for adults
- 12th-18th September: ECAN artist’s group site specific responses to St George’s Church Epsom Contemporary Artists Network (ECAN) responds to the historic setting and potential of St George’s Church. This will include interaction with the public as part the development of the work, culminating in a showcase of the week’s events on the weekend of 17th and 18th September
- Writers-in-residence: Adrienne Dines and Agnes Meadows will be writers-in-residence at St George’s on 6, 13 and 20 October. Adrienne Dines will run morning sessions (10-1) and Agnes the afternoon (2-5). They are looking forward to meeting writers of all abilities and aspirations – anyone who has an inkling that they’d like to commit to print but may be shy about beginning, waning in enthusiasm for something started, or finished a draft and looking for help with polishing!
- October is ‘Big Draw’ month in twenty countries and on five continents. Our theme this year is Our World: join us at St George’s to make your mark! Artist, Jane Ponsford will be encouraging everyone to draw using pencils, pens, inks and brushes with activities for all ages. We invite you to come and remind yourself of what fun drawing can be.The Big Draw
Date: Saturday 8 October
Time: 1.00pm – 4.30pm
No need to book; all welcome
Tea coffee and soft drinks available
For more information please visit https://stgeorgesarts.wordpress.com/ or telephone 01372 467720
- Saturday 8 October 1 – 4.30 pm The Big Draw and Tea
Workshops at St George’s Arts 2010
- 9 April: 10 am – 12 noon Easter school holidays family workshops and art / craft workshops and classes: £5 per child, parents go free. Booking essential
- 22 April: Pattern and Patina 11 am – 1 pm, 2.30 – 4.30 FREE workshop for adults with Helen Scalway working with patterns at St George’s.
- 20 May: Visual Rhyme and Repetition11 am – 1 pm, 2.30 – 4.30 FREE workshop for adults with Helen Scalway at St George’s.
- 12 June: Saturday 10 am – 12 noon. FREE drawing workshop for adults with artist in residence Helen Scalway.
- 12 June One day workshop 10 – 3pm with break for lunch: experimental papermaking for adults with Jane Ponsford £40
- Sunday 25 July Pattern and Place with Helen Scalway, an artist’s take on historical pattern. 2010 Festival of British Archaeology: www.archaeologyfestival.org.uk. 11.30, 13.30, 1.30, 2.30 pm (no need to book)
- Thursday 29 July 11 am – 1 pm. FREE Family art / craft workshops with Helen Scalway, St George’s Artist-in-residence
- Thursday 5 August 11 am – 1 pm. FREE Family art / craft workshops with Helen Scalway, St George’s Artist-in-residence
- 2 October THE BIG DRAW with Helen Scalway, 10 – 3 pm. FREE Drawing activities for all ages, no need to book, all welcome. 10 – 12 noon and 1 – 3 pm. Our artist-in-residence will be leading drawing activities and taking a closer look at the spaces around us.
Textiles workshops during 2009 for Elmbridge Schools and groups
As part of her six-month project based at St George’s Church, Esher, textiles artist -in-residence Louise Nason worked on art projects and workshops for schools, community groups and people of all ages in Esher. Workshops can be tailored to suit the age group or specific needs of the school or group and they can take place at St George’s Church or within the school or community centre. Thanks to the support of our funders many of these activities are free. For further information or if you would like to make a booking for a workshop or studio visit please contact: Jane Ponsford, visual arts organiser at St George’s Arts. Tel: 01372 467720 or email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Workshops for adults as part of 2009 Surrey Artists Open Studios:
- 18 June 2009: 10-12 noon, Paper-making with Jane Ponsford £10
- 19 June 2009: 10-12 noon, FREE Textiles workshop with artist-in-residence, Louise Nason
To book for either of these workshops please phone: 01372 467720
- 6 July 2009: Collaborative textiles day: Fully booked
- Free Textiles / Papermaking workshops for Children and Teens with Louise Nason and Jane Ponsford: 26 August. 10 – 12 noon: activities suitable for ages 7 and up. Children to be accompanied by an adult. 1 – 3 pm: ages 14 and up. Tel: 01372 467720 to book.
- Natural Dye Workshop with Louise Nason 20 September: One day workshop 10 – 3 pm. Small charge £10 for materials. Break for lunch (not provided). Now booking. Tel: 01372 467720 to book or for more details.
- The Big Draw 10 October: Free Drawing activities for all ages, no need to book, all welcome. 10 – 12 noon and 1 – 3 pm
What people have said about working with resident artists based at St George’s:
“We just wanted to thank you again for an amazing week! The children just loved creating their sculptures and the staff have been inspired by the different approach and materials that you used with us. It was something that we would not have been able to achieve on our own. The impact of the final piece of work has been amazing. Parents were so impressed by the sculpture that we displayed.”
Teacher and art co-ordinator, Hurst Park Primary School
“On behalf of everyone here at ECL I would like to thank you so much…our members had such fun and were fascinated by the papermaking process. When can we do it again!
The photographs you gave us of the finished results were fabulous.”
Project co-ordinator, Elmbridge Community Link